Tuesday, May 1, 2012

New Gadget

DSC_2289


I think I’m gonna like this new little gadget. Introducing my Polaroid 300 Instant Camera. It was a Christmas present and I just, this week, took it out of the box. It takes some getting use to and the film isn’t exactly cheap, but I believe I’m loving this new artistic medium. 

I am terrifically inspired by Susannah Conway’s work with polaroid cameras and I look forward to reading her new collaborative book, Instant Love. There is also a whole community of instant camera folks called The Impossible Project. According to their website, Impossible started with a small team of the very best 10 former Polaroid employees who shared our passion as well as the belief in our Impossible dream. I’ve already been perusing ebay for some future purchases (maybe even a Barbie Polaroid instant camera for a certain someone’s birthday), but I’ll wait for the book and will keep studying up on the future prospects.

I’ve taken one roll, which consists of 10 pieces of film that are 1.8”x2.4”. This is a bit smaller than the traditional Polaroid pictures I remember. Some of my shots were pretty good and well, others were, let’s just say they were. But I love them for what they are – my first shots.

I put in my last roll tonight, so needless to say, I will be scanning the www for some deals on film. I’m also getting ready to break out a film camera on loan to me by my sweet father-in-law. I’ve been intimidated to use it, but now feel inspiration to just do it!

Wish me well on these new adventures!

No comments: