Sunday, May 29, 2011

A Birthday Letter

Dear Mother and Daddy,

Forty-nine years ago you anxiously awaited the arrive of your third baby. You already had 2 boys and you both hoped your third would be a girl. Joyously it was! On May 29, I arrived into a family of 4. I would be the last child of your small family, the first grand-daughter and the only dark headed child.

Sometimes I wish that there was a video tape of my birth. I know it’s a very personal moment for parents, but as a child or rather an adult child, I would love to have seen my birth. Back then fathers didn’t go into the delivery room and frequently mothers were, for the most part, semi-conscious. I would love to have seen both of your reactions when you heard, “It’s a girl!” I would cherish seeing you both hold me for the first time. I remember what it feels like holding my babies for the first time, as well as Mady, but to be able to peek at your own parents holding you would be amazing!

Being the only girl was wonderful. I truly felt adored by everyone, but not in a spoiled-kind-of-way. I had blessed relationships with each of your parents, my grandparents. Each grandparent relationship had its own unique bond. They loved me and I felt that love. And I loved them all dearly. The same can be said for my Aunt Claire. As silly as it may sound now, I thought she was just like Mary Tyler Moore and that was so cool in my eyes! You encouraged and nurtured extended family relationships and for that I thank you.

Both of you helped shaped me into the person I am today and I want to say, you did a great job! I don’t mean that in a bragging way, but I am happy with who I am. Because of what you have taught and exemplified in your lives as parents, partners and individuals, I was able to traverse the road blocks in life with confidence and grace. Yes, I am still learning and growing with each bend and block in the road, just as you are as you go before me on that road. Your examples, lessons, love, encouragement, help and laughter are buried deep in my heart. All of those things are treasures and I pull them out every day as I navigate the road before me.

So on this wonderful day, my birthday, I want to tell the two of you Happy Birthday! Thank you for loving me unconditionally. I am truly blessed to have you as my parents.

I love you both!

DSC_5167DSC_5170

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

P.S. Thanks also for trying for a third baby!!!!!!

No comments: