Sunday, February 7, 2010

Warmth

I have an electric blanket. This was a gift at Christmas from a thoughtful daughter and it lies on my half of the bed (my sweet husband doesn't like them....except when his toes are cold). I forgot to turn it on last night before I got into bed. So, I turned it on then jumped in - into the cold sheets I might add. I actually lie on top of the blanket (I know, I know.....you are NOT supposed to do this) and a flood of memories came back to me while it was warming my backside.

As a little girl I had electric blanket. My mother would turn it on before bed to warm it up, then off once I got in. Now that was some cozy sleeping! Since then there have been years where I didn't have one and some that I did. Having lived in Florida during my teenage years and early adulthood I don't remember having one. After moving to Atlanta for a few years then on to Tennessee, I remember getting one, but I have not been the proud owner of one for the past 6 years, at least. 
Then came Christmas. I must admit, I did add it to my wish list and my wish was granted (thank you daughter). Oh the joy! The pure unadulterated, enraptured, blissful, toasty joy! The joy of warmth in the midst of glacier-like air (and sheets). 

During this biting, bitter time we have experienced as of late, I am reminded of a song by Christina Rossetti that is often sung during the Christmas season:

In the bleak midwinter
Frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron,
Water like a stone;
Snow had fallen, snow on snow,
Snow on snow,
In the bleak midwinter,
Long ago.





































It has certainly felt bleak. But late at night as I burrow into my electric cave of toasty-ness, the bleakness turns to cozy comfort. Cozy comfort like that yummy-licious peppermint tea that another daughter introduced to me at Christmas. The steeping tea bag in the hot mug cradled in the palm of my hand, exuding an aroma of coziness and a releasing of chill in both hand and body cavity.

Yes, while nestled in my toasty-ness I am reminded of the beauty and warmth that is around me daily. The beauty of the silhouette of the barren tree branches against the quiet sunrise/sunset. The warmth of my special "Lucy" quilts wrapped around my lap. Beauty and warmth of family, laughter, music and silliness of a two-and-a-half year old grandbaby girl.

























Thank you my electric blanket for memories and reminders. Thank you for warmth.

(P.S. Yes, that is a cookie cutter being used as an ankle bracelet.)