Thursday, March 1, 2012

You Have a Chicken Coop? Really?

After attending the Blissdom Conference in Nashville last weekend, my sweet husband and I were able to spend some additional time with his daughter, Catherine and her husband, Trone. We dined on some delicious BBQ at Edley’s Bar-B-Que which is located close to their future neighborhood. After stuffing ourselves we took a model home tour of their not-yet-built-house. I’m so excited for them and can’t wait to see their finished home in a few months.

As we were going back to their apartment, we ran into a young friend of theirs, Will. Will’s family is the proud owner of a chicken coop. Really? A chicken coop? I read blog post a few years ago about a family who built an amazing chicken coop, and since then I’ve had a fascination with chickens and chicken coops. I even purchased a book dedicated to this fascination. (Thank you Ashley English for your informative books)
Homemade Living: Keeping Chickens with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Care for a Happy, Healthy Flock

After reading that blog post I decided one day I would have one built, get some of those cute little chicks to raise and eat fresh eggs everyday. I haven’t had the opportunity to see a coop up-close and personal and was thrilled at this chance meeting. In my excitement I forgot to get a full blown shot of the coop, but did get some of the hens peeking out.

DSC_0621

DSC_0618

 

 

 

 

DSC_0620



Each hen’s outward appearance is different and according to Will, their personalities are diverse as well. These colorful hens were fat, sassy, soft and gorgeous!

DSC_0615


DSC_0626DSC_0627

DSC_0633


I was so happy to have captured this hen with a bit of food in her beak.

Will also had an charming dog named Bandit. Bandit was gracious to pose for me, but bless his heart, he didn’t like having to pose in the bright sun. What a sweetheart!

DSC_0637DSC_0638DSC_0640DSC_0642



Finally, Will was gracious to give us a few eggs from the hens. I especially love the blue egg and must say, they are yummilicious!

DSC_0643DSC_0644



Thanks Will for the eggs and for taking the time to introduce us to your hens. And thanks Catherine and Trone, we love spending time with you!

No comments: